The South Carolina Philharmonic Youth Orchestras Young Artists Concerto Competition is open to young musicians up to age 18, who have not been a winner of this competition within the last three years.
Applicants will play a movement from a concerto or solo concert piece with orchestral accompaniment selected from the Concerto Repertoire List. Other selections may be used with approval by Youth Orchestra Music Director, Neil Casey.
Neither the length nor difficulty of the composition are criterion for selection.
One winner, declared by the judges, will perform at an upcoming Youth Orchestras Concert.
Applications are due by Wednesday, December 8, 2021. Auditions will be held on Sunday, December 19, 2021 at the University of South Carolina School of Music.
- Must be a member of the South Carolina Philharmonic Youth Orchestras.
- Must have paid tuition in full for the 21/22 season.
- Submit a short essay stating why you would like to be a winner of the South Carolina Philharmonic Youth Orchestras Young Artists Concerto Competition.
- Must play one movement from a concerto or solo piece from the Concerto Repertoire List.
- Other selections may be used with the approval by Youth Orchestra Music Director, Neil Casey.
- Applicant must audition with the piece they intend to perform with the orchestra.
- Music selection must be memorized.
- Selection should not exceed 15 minutes.
- Judges may request the applicant to stop, repeat, or skip repetitive passages.
- Applicants are encouraged to cut long orchestral passages.
- Applicants must provide their own accompanist.
- Applicant must provide a copy of the music to the judges the day of their audition.